Monday, April 9, 2007

Nothing I love more than ironic posturing

Ever since rap came upon the music scene in the 1980's, there have been white indie rock kids to cover those songs with acousic guitars. Ironic covers are a time honored tradition of the rock snob. In that spirit, I present to you my list of the top three ironic rap covers:

1) A Classic: Dynamite Hack's cover of N.W.A.'s Boyz in tha Hood.
The video is priceless:



2) The Vines do Ms. Jackson by Outkast (I love this one):

TheVines-MsJacksoncover.mp3

3) Here's a new one: Up and coming singer/songwriter Jenny Owen Youngs does Nelly's Hot in Herre, ("Good gracious, Ass Bodacious") :



You can listen to a cleared up version of the song at Jenny's myspace page. I suggest you do.

God bless you indie rockers for continuing the tradition of stealing from your more talented African American counterparts. Worked for Elvis.

No comments: