Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Comics! Comics! Comics!

A few years ago, I wrote an article for Access (the Ontario Library Association Magazine) about the ten graphic novels that every library should have. You can read the article on the OLA website (go to page 52). However, I've thought that I left a few deserving titles off the list. Therefore, to assuage my nerd guilt, I decided to post two new lists that I feel represent the best of the genre. I've divided the list between Superhero and Non-Superhero books: Superhero:
  1. The Watchmen by Alan Moore: Simply the best. The only graphic novel to be included on Time's 100 Greatest Novels list. The Watchmen is one of my favourite books, let alone comic books, period.
  2. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller
  3. Batman: The Long Halloween by Jeph Loeb
  4. Arkham Asylum by Grant Morrison
  5. V for Vendetta by Alan Moore - V is every bit as much of a Superhero as Batman
  6. Batman: Hush by Jeph Loeb
  7. Batman: The Killing Joke by Alan Moore
  8. Kingdom Come by Marc Waid
  9. The Death of Superman
  10. Batman: Year One by Frank Miller

I know I'm heavy on the Batman but he's just the best.

Non Superhero:

  1. It's a Good Life, If you don't Weaken by Seth
  2. Maus by Art Spiegelman
  3. Jimmy Corrigan: Smartest Kid on Earth by Chris Ware
  4. I Never Liked You by Chester Brown
  5. Ghost World by Daniel Clowes
  6. The Golem's Mighty Swing by James Sturm
  7. Louis Riel by Chester Brown
  8. Blankets by Craig Thompson
  9. From Hell by Alan Moore
  10. Sin City: The Long Goodbye by Frank Miller
I also recommend Scott Mcloud's Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art if you're just getting started.

There, I feel vindicated now. Finally I can sleep again.

No comments: