Sunday, April 15, 2007

Clap Your Hands!



I went to the Clap Your Hands Say Yeah/Elvis Perkins show last night at the Kool Haus and was quite impressed. I wasn't sure if lead singer Alec Ounsworth would be able to pull off the nasally drawl singing that permeates the bands two great albums but he sure surprised me by singing his little heart out. The crowd was definitely more into the first album tracks than songs off their sophomore release, "Some Loud Thunder," with the exception of "Satan Said Dance" to which the diverse crowd of hipsters and drunk for-the-first-time 16 year olds bopped along with religious fervour. Overall, I thought CYHSY brought the groovy goods and I was sent home happy with a new appreciation for the second album.

Elvis Perkins in Dearland opened for Clap Your Hands I have been telling everyone about this singer/songwriter since I heard his album, "Ash Wednesday," which is absolutely beautiful. His songs cut to your core like a good joke or a sad movie. He very impressive live and played my two favourite songs, "While You Were Sleeping" and "Emil's Vietnam in the Sky." This guy deserves to get big so pick up "Ash Wednesday."




A hilarious video for "Is this love?" apparently rejected by the band...




A live version of "Emil's Vietnam in the Sky."

2 comments:

hhall said...

love the review. but, did someone knee him in the crotch before they took that pic?

Uncle Toucan said...

the show kicked some serious tail. great review - sorry to hear about all those 16 year olds.. did they at least refrain from carrying signs professing their love for the band? one cool story... after the show I bumped into Dearland and talked to them for a few minutes - really cool guys.
later!