Monday, June 30, 2008

The Storm still Rages...

Lazy music critics often describe Kentucky's My Morning Jacket as "Southern Rock" or banty about the name Lynyrd Skynyrd in their reviews. Easy labels like these don't nearly capture My Morning Jacket's eclecticism and appeal. Their eclectic nature is on full display on the band latest album "Evil Urges." Although the reviews for MMJ's 5th album have been positive they have often described "Evil Urges" as a fall off from the band's previous two albums, "It Still Moves" and "Z." I happen to think both those records are modern classics but there's something about "Evil Urges" that really grabs me. From the Prince-esque opening track to softer fare like "Librarian" and "Thank You Too," listening to "Evil Urges" in its entirety is a joy. In my opinion, it matches and perhaps surpasses any of the band's previous work. I'm so mad at myself for cheaping out on seeing live in Montreal last week. There's always next time.

Here's some making of footage for "Evil Urges."

No comments: