Thursday, June 19, 2008

The cage doesn't seem to open very wide at all...

I became a fan of Martha Wainwright when I saw her last summer at the Osheaga festival. She was so charming and disarming that no one cared when she stopped mid song to demand a joint from the audience (noticed said joint nestled in her guitar in the above photo). Well, Ms. Wainwright is in fine form again on her new album, "I Know You're Married But I have Feelings Too." The usual subjects are covered; love, lust, insecurity and fragility. Despite being recently married, Martha is certainly not letting the male of the species off the hook, "You got a girlfriend and I can only talk about her for so very long". It's good to know that the angry young woman of "Bloody Motherfucking Asshole" is still around. I will say that the new album does, at times, seem to be overpolished which diminishes the emotional intensity of the first record. Still, I would recommend giving it a listen.

1 comment:

Nora said...

Hey Samurai Buddha! ;-) I love Martha too, been a fan of her brother's for almost seven years now as well. Nice post!